Recovery is a wonderful time to focus on the self. Reflection, processing, development of new tools, and connecting with yourself and others are just a few glorious benefits that you can reap if you partake in this amazing adventure called life in recovery. Congrats! You have made the decision to seek help – this is one of the hardest parts of recovery and you have reached it. Take pride in the fact that you are standing up for your happiness, your health, and your well-being. You’ve earned it.
You’re probably wondering what you can do to take the reigns of your recovery; what options are there to really maximize your potential for growth and development? Luckily, the options are plentiful. No matter where you’re at, here are some amazing tips you can use to keep your feet on the ground:
- Take it a day at a time. No need to rush – remember that each day is a new day, a new opportunity, and a new chance to learn something new, connect with others, and grow.
- Communicate often. If you’ve got a solid support system, keep in contact with them on a regular basis to help you stay accountable. If you don’t have many friends or family, maintain contact with a local recovery leader in your area.
- Evaluate your friend circle. Are there certain people that, when you spend your time with them, you want to abuse substances? Make the decision to cut them out of your life if they are not benefiting your goal of recovery. This is one of the best decisions you could make for yourself.
- Donate some of your time. Helping others can bring you a sense of joy like nothing else. National Geographic states that volunteering can help build your self-esteem and will give you a deep sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Never give up on yourself. Recovery is a lot like life. There are ups, downs, and everything in between. Be patient with yourself. Understand this is a journey, and mistakes will be made. Learn from them. Grow. Accept that. Do better next time.
New Vista Behavioral Health is home to several world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery treatment centers. We offer a variety of methods for treatment, ranging from acupuncture to nutrition assessment, yoga to music therapy. If you are seeking help, call us today at 888-316-3665 for a consultation.