When it comes to mental and physical health conditions, there are a variety of methods that can be used. This variety lends itself well, because each person has unique needs and wants. One method that can be used is acupuncture; according to a definition provided by Live Science, acupuncture is “a complementary medical practice that entails stimulating certain points on the body, most often with a needle penetrating the skin, to alleviate pain or to help treat health conditions.” Acupuncture is not considered painful, and it promotes relaxation. The University of Miami ‘s Miller School of Medicine has identified the following conditions that acupuncture can be used to treat:
- General concerns, such as headaches, allergies, back pain, dizziness, anxiety, high blood pressure, constipation, fibromyalgia, sexual dysfunction, palliative care, post-operative surgery, and more.
- Women’s health, such as menstrual irregularities, menopause, postpartum, childbirth, lactation difficulties, and more.
- Men’s health, such as prostate, infertility, and impotence.
- Pediatrics, involving asthma, cough, digestive problems, ear infections, and others.
- Preventative health, including prevention, stress management, wellness, and seasonal attunement.
- Muscle, bone, and nerve pain
- Addictions such as tobacco, narcotics, alcoholism, and weight loss
- Diseases of the heart
- Digestive disorders, disease of the respiratory system, and diseases of the nervous system
As one can see, there are clearly many benefits of acupuncture; however, there is still more research that is needed to determine the true effectiveness of this method of treatment. Many people use a variety of treatment methods for health conditions, and for people who are experiencing anxiety and depression, this could be just one form, along with psychotherapy, meditation, art therapy and medication, for example, that could prove beneficial.
The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health claims that acupuncture is relatively safe, but if it is done incorrectly, there could be serious side effects. Make sure that you seek out a reputable, certified doctor for acupuncture and always seek the opinion of your trusted doctor to ensure this is the right form of treatment for you. If you experience any symptoms or side effects of concern after receiving acupuncture, seek medical attention immediately.
New Vista Behavioral Health is home to several world-renowned, California state-licensed mental health and substance abuse recovery treatment centers. Our treatment centers believe in holistic recovery, meaning that we will work with you to restore your mind, body, and spirit. Make the decision to place your health and wellbeing as top priority, and call us today at 888-316-3665 for a consultation.